Duckvember Day 18: "Duck Shipping" πŸ’žπŸ¦†

Back in 2017, someone created an Inktober-inspired prompt list for 
duck characters of our choosing and I wanted to join in on the fun. πŸ˜„ 

Here's my very first Delpad piece! (Also, my first time drawing Della and second time drawing LP.)

I had finished it during November of that year but held off on it until December. 
I remember there being some hesitancy posting this, so, that's probably the reason why. πŸ˜…

The first time I saw this ship being suggested in the fandom, I was completely not on board. πŸ˜† After “Woo-oo!”  premiered, I saw a post on Tumblr where someone was theorizing about the couple. I rejected it immediately. I thought it would ruin the older brother relationship LP is supposed to have with the kids. I was all like "Just because they're pilots, doesn't mean they're a couple. Just because Della's wearing something similar to what LP wore in the old show, doesn't automatically mean the showrunners are implying something." But I was still open to the two having some sort of connection. That maybe they were just friends. Or maybe he was a friend of the father's. 

(I jokingly theorized about Howard the Duck be the father at the time. xD )


Then Della's outfit changed in "The Great Dime Chase!". 

I was like "Ok...why are their colors matching now?" 

Then LP suddenly turned into this heroic character on a mission in "House of the Lucky Gander!". 

And I was like "Um...what was that?!" 

Then the Della comics from IDW came out. 

"Oh no, this could really work...

STOP SHIPPING THIS! IT'S RIDICULOUS! DON'T CATCH THE FEELS!" 

LP already considers Dewey as his best friend? They both love aerospace? 

The Mummies and Daddies joke?! 

"OK I'M SOLD!" xD


I tried to keep my support for this ship under wraps until I had posted this to my own Tumblr, but the amount of supporters suddenly exploded in popularity and I couldn't take it anymore. xD I couldn't resist giving notes to the content that started showing up. And I was surprised by how many of us jumped onboard with similar thought about them in such a small timeframe. It was fun...

I really like how the gradient came out in my piece (and the softness of the clouds!), though I do wish the color transition between them came out smoother. πŸ˜… I did try to fix that up digitally. I was always iffy about whether I went with the right poses. (That was one part of the hesitancy. The other was being nervous about what others would think of me supporting the ship, lol) I wanted to have them meet up at eye-level, I needed to have him hold her in a way that didn't look like she could easily fall, and it needed to make sense with their proportions...🀷🏾‍♀️ Oh, well.

Now that I'm reading through my original description for this, I probably wanted to release it alongside my first Delpad theory essay and didn't finish finalizing it at the desired time. 

(That sounds very me.) 

This then played into my decision to create a side-blog where I could dump all of my DuckTales-related content! Heh, there's a lot more firsts tied to this artwork than I thought! πŸ˜„

I've been thinking about remaking this for years, but I wasn't sure how I'd go about formatting it the second time around. I guess we'll just have to see if I ever come up with a solid idea. πŸ€”

__________________________________________________________________________________

*•. ̧ Originally Posted  ̧.•*'

  ˜”*°• December 13th, 2017 •°*”~

Tools Used: Strathmore Toned Tan paper, Faber-Castell black brush pen, Prismacolor Pencils, 
SAKURA Gelly Roll Gel Pen and a little touching up in Clip Studio Paint EX.

I was so excited about where this route would go. 

Little did I know I would have to pick up the broken pieces.

Comments

Popular Posts